Tuesday, March 8, 2011

So many salads in so little time...

Sorry for the cell phone picture!
You may have noticed a string of healthy posts on my blog in the past week. There's a reason for that. I'm on a diet (insert melodramatic music here). Specifically, I'm on the 17 Day Diet, a diet that involves tricking your body's metabolism into burning more fat, thus creating weight loss. All kidding aside, it's fairly strict but not all that difficult to follow. I'm actually quite happy with the results so far.
Anyway, the worst part of this diet is all the salads! I hate salads! I like my lettuce stuffed in sandwiches or buried under a pile of pulled pork. On this diet, I may have gotten used to salads but that doesn't mean I have to like them. Enter the 17 Day Diet Eggplant Parmesan.
This is a great meal to break up the monotony of most diets. It may not be your grandma's eggplant, but it's a healthy, simple, and surprisingly tasty alternative. I've had it a few times and been very happy with the results.
 

Eggplant Parmesan recipe copyright 17 Day Diet

1 large eggplant, peeled
4 egg whites
Fat-free parmesan cheese
Garlic powder, to taste
1 cup of low-carb marinara sauce

  • Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices
  • In a shallow dish, beat the egg whites and 4 tablespoons of water until foamy
  • Dip the eggplant into the egg whites, then into the parmesan cheese, pressing the cheese into the eggplant
  • Place the eggplant pieces onto a prepared baking sheet that's been sprayed with vegetable spray
  • Sprinkle each piece with garlic powder
  • Spray a little vegetable spray over the slices
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
  • Flip the eggplant slices over and bake for 10 more minutes until golden brown and cooked through

  • Cover the slices with 1 cup of low-carb marinara sauce and bake for 20 more minutes until eggplant is piping hot and sauce is bubbly.

Makes 2 large servings

So if you find yourself on salad overload, give this dish a shot without blowing all of your calories for the day, then let me know how it goes!


3 comments:

  1. How far are you into the diet? I've actually been looking at starting that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on day 15 right now. I'm very happy with it. It's strict, but I find that I kick habits easier by sticking to very strict rules. I would suggest using sites like this to weigh the pros and cons of this diet: http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/the-17-day-diet/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love eggplants but never baked them before. sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete